THE POWER OF PLACE.
REGENERATIVE DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT FOR LEADERS and ORGANISATIONS CREATING TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE – FROM PLACE.
Registrations 2024 open on January 5th 2024!
Power of Place is collective learning journey in regenerative placemaking. The aim of our course is to provide a living systems and regenerative thinking approach to how we design our places so that they can become places in which humans can fulfil their potential and true roles and all life thrives in harmony – so that the places that are precious to us beome Places For Life.
We will explore key principles which underpin the transformation of our places to centres of evolutionary potential, vibrant ecology, resilient economies where people can live with dignity and in right relationship to each other and the living systems on which we depend whilst actively applying principles, frameworks and approaches to a live project on which participants are working.
We will dive into many different questions and explore pathways forward to create the regenerative places, stories and economies our hearts deeply desire:
- What are the root causes of our current ecological, economic and social crises?
- What would places and economies look like that are consistent with living systems principles that have created the conditions conducive for 3.8 billion years?
- How do systems really change, including human systems?
- What happens if we put life at the centre of all our place-making activities? How do we design Places For Life?
- What are the unique patterns of ecology, culture and economy in each and every place which define how we evolve its story and strategy towards the next stage of development?
- Are there more collaborative and co-creative ways to lead, gather communities, and engage together in projects, missions and movements if we look through a regenerative lens?
- How do we align our economic and cultural structures to enable place-sourced potential to emerge?
- How do we shift ownership, finance, technology to serve regenerative placemaking and culture?
Place is the scale at which life works.
Life is Ecosystemic & Bioregional.
Place is where the natural and human systems connect most closely.
CITIES | TOWNS | DEVELOPMENTS | DESTINATIONS | ESTATES | FARMS | LAND STEWARDS
We can transform our places.
One by one.
If we transform the places of the world, we transform our planet.
This learning journey is for leaders who want to do just that.
OUR NEXT COHORT BEGINS in March 2024.
Power of Place is a 9 month deep-dive programme to enable participants to birth new knowledge and life into their work.
Power of Place offers an imaginative and practical way to embrace and reimagine placemaking through a living systems and regenerative perspective whilst working on a live project.
The Future Our Hearts Know is Possible….
We are in a time of breakdowns and breakthroughs. In the last 15 years we have experienced significant disruption of our social, cultural, economic and ecologial patterns. Many of our planetary boundaries have been breached. The 2008 near financial system collapse seems to have accelerated extraction from the environment and people. The experience of the global covid19 pandemic has cast a bright light on the frailty in our global economies. The invasion of Ukraine has highlighted our economic interdependency – even with unfriendly actors. We need an accelerated conversation about what needs to change in our world. Not just to adjust to the possibility of future viral anomalies, but to the greater challenges following in its wake.
Climate change. Biodiversity loss. Soil degradation. Ocean acidification. Economic and social collapse.
Polarities. Divided communities. Individual and collective trauma. A polluted information ecology which disempowers sensemaking.
We know that these challenges are driving deep systemic change.
It’s no longer a question of why we have to change, but how.
The Power of Place is a 9 month learning journey to help leaders take a radically different approach to creating regenerative, resilient and vibrant economies that reconcile the story of separation we have all been living. It is the future our hearts know is possible.
We call it designing PLACES FOR LIFE.
Opening Meeting for Individual Participants
Thursday 14th March 2024
Whole Cohort Live Sessions
Thursday 21st March 2024
Thursday 28th March 2024
Thursday 4th April – FREE for study
Thursdays 11th, 18th, 25th April 2024
Thursday 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd May 2023
Thursday 30th May – FREE for study
Thursday 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th June 2024
Thursday 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th July 2024
Thursday 5th, 12th, 19th, 21st September
Thursday 3rd, 10th October
IN PERSON RETREAT IN MALLORCA
24th October – THE FINAL GATHERING
(this session is 4 hours – 1pm-5pm)
The main sessions are 2 hours long and held between 3-5pm UK | 4-6pm CET.
The first session is 2.5 hours and the Final Gathering is 4 hours.
There will be a morning session offered for participants from Asia at 7-9am UK | 2-4pm Thailand | 12.30-2.30pm India
Is Power of Place for you?
Power of Place is for people and organisations who deeply sense that a different way of relating to the world around us is called for at this time. It is for people who feel that the way in which we have understood how the world works may be flawed and that they are longing for a vibrant, vital approach that generates understanding, relationship, community – and life.
Regenerative Places For Life harmonise the human systems we have developed with the planetary evolution processes that have created the conditions conducive to life for 3.8 billion years.
- If you sense that sustainability is no longer sufficient.
- If you wonder whether there is a different approach that might realise your potential, and the potential of people and places around you.
- If you have woken at 3am in the morning with your heart pounding in a combination of fear and frustration that you have been unable to find a way to shape, incubate or guide the change your heart knows is possible.
- If you want to find a way to go beyond systems change….to evolution.
- If you have seen the potential of a living systems approach but felt like a long voice in the wilderness, craving the company of like-hearted souls on the journey.
POWER OF PLACE was designed for you.
You may be:
- Sustainability and Human Resource Directors of place-based organisations
- City, town and municipality development, sustainability and strategy officers
- Government departments that have stewardship of economy, culture, environment
- Housing developers with a desire to put life at the heart of developments
- Architects who want to design places that heal – relationships, nature, people
- Land owners and estate managers who are interested in holistic regenerative approaches
- Tourism professionals – destination managers, venue owners, place-based businesses
- Brands who want to draw new inspiration from the source of the places in which they find themselves
- Arts & Culture venues such as museums, visitor attractions, learning centres
- Communities who Care and want to find a way to take practical regenerative action
- Any Organisation that is custodian or steward of land, waterways or shorelines
Over 26 weeks | Weekly Live Sessions | 3 deep-dive modules
Additional live sessions with experienced regenerative practitioners working in the field.
For 98% of our time on planet Earth, humans have inhabited this place in co-mutual right relationship and reciprocity with life – all life. We humans have an important and valuable role to play in the evolution of life on earth. If we are to heal the story of separation between humans and nature we must once again find our inherent gift not as owners but as living expressions of the places we inhabit.
In this part of the programme, we explore the patterns and processes that are biologically, culturally and economically unique to each and every place from which we design our pathways to towards the emergent future that story helps us to imagine.
Engaging in a process of collaborative co-creation of the emerging future is a radically different pathway into the future compared to our traditional route of public consultation and stakeholder engagement. If we are to heal the story of separation between humans and humans and go beyond the travails of human ‘messiness’, we need to do the deep work in our Selves, in our relationships to Others.
To create the fields of human connection which can withstand the challenges of complexity, uncertainty, failure and success asks radical trust, vulnerability and growth of us.
In this part of the programme we examine what it takes to travel at the speed of both trust and urgent need.
EVOLVING SYSTEMS FROM PLACE
Systems specialist Donella Meadows famously said you have to learn to dance with systems if you are to change them. Beyond just change, our work as regenerative placemakers is to play a role as catalysts of systems evolution to allow the full future potential of people, places and the systems in which they sit, to emerge.
In this part of the journey we study how to:-
- design systems evolution from place
- design bioregional regeneration – ecologically, economically and culturally
- we study how this is happening in whole landscapes, cities and municipalities, with estate owners and natural parks, in tourism and in the built environment.
- 9 months collaborative learning journey for professional placemakers
- 42 hours live learning and a further 20 hours pre-recorded material
- An opportunity to meet and work with experienced, globally renowned regenerative practitioners
- Annual membership of our Community of Practice
- Bi-weekly peer-practice and fishbowls with our global community
- Monthly guest session with experienced regenerative placemakers and designers
We welcome individuals and teams who want to develop their regenerative capabilities and practice. If you join as an individual we will connect you to like-minded others working in a similar field.
We strongly encourate you to consider bringing your whole team if you have a specific project to work on or if you are an individual, gathering a team of like-minded people who want to explore how Power of Place can help them work regeneratively in a particular field such as organisational design, tourism, change management, the built environment, in a particular city or town, in a land or water-based regenerative programme. THERE ARE DISCOUNTS FOR TEAMS OF MORE THAN 4 PEOPLE. Please contact Jenny at email@example.com directly to discuss your team participation.
TEAM BURSARIES for small/new impact organisations.
The additional income from corporate individuals and teams, and generous funding from trusts contributes to our ability to offer funded places to those on limited income or in small regenerative startups in countries all around the world. The Team Bursary is open to:-
- Teams from small or newly launched social enterprises, and not-for-profit enterprises.
- Teams should be a minimum of 4 people working on the same project.
- Organisations should employ less than 10 people or have a t/o under €100k per annnum but have a clearly defined place-based project.
To qualify you must be working on one of the following key issues in a particular location and have a specific project you are working on in:
- food systems change or food re-localisation;
- developing citizen engagement and democracy;
- land, river or coastal regeneration;
- a bioregional project
- urban landscape change (can be food, housing, park, brownfield site, riverside, wetland)
- cultural systems change
- economic systems change
Please complete this application form and we will get back to you to schedule an interview.
|INDIVIDUAL/SELF-FUNDING PARTICIPANT (all territories)
|INDIVIDUAL CORPORATE PARTICIPANT (funded by Vat registrered employer – EU only)
|CLICK TO APPLY
All prices are exclusive of UK VAT @ 20%. VAT will be charged at point of payment depending on your status.
EU businesses with VAT registration will not be charged VAT in the reverse charging scheme; please register using the Individual Corporate Participant.
Any individual or business that would prefer to pay via invoice rather than through our online system please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refund Policy: Full refunds will be given up until registration closing date 1st March 2024 less a processing fee. Thereafter no further refunds will be given.
TO ENROL: simply click on the chosen investment level which will take you straight to the payment process.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE IN-PERSON RETREAT
- All tuition from Power of Place hosts
- Tour of the Tramuntana sacred forest and Way of Council with Daniel Christian Wahl
- Meeting with coastal regeneration project
- Morning yoga or meditation
- Accommodation and breakfast at Santuari de Lluc (single room or shared twin)
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Travel to Mallorca
- Lunch and dinner (first evening dinner is included)
- All participants must have their own travel insurance cover.
We don’t want anyone to be excluded from this opportunity on grounds of affordability. For this reason, we place special priority on requests from individual practitioners for bursary support in the following categories: 1) Practitioners who work as place-based community activists and/or organisers serving marginalised populations and/or underfunded communities. 2) Practitioners from underrepresented backgrounds, including indigenous practitioners and practitioners of colour. Please contact us on email@example.com to have a conversation with Jenny or Sam.
3 day leadership retreat
Accelerate your regenerative leadership practice in a place of power.
REGENERATIVE LEADERSHIP INTENSIVE, Lluc, Mallorca.
In the last few years we have learned a great deal about how to create a sacred space for learning online. There is still however, something magical about convening in person to deepen relationships, and to spend quality time together in nature without the distractions of laptop and phone.
In our 3 day gatherings we focus on developing our personal capacity for regenerative leadership.
At the end of our programme, we will meet in the beautiful Tramuntana Mountains in Mallorca at the former monastery in Lluc. Here we will be joined by one of the founders of the regenerative movement, Daniel Christian Wahl.
These 3 day in-person intensives are an opportunity for us to dive deep into the practice of regenerative leadership.
Together we will explore the qualities of a living systems leader: the courage, the integrity, the deep pattern of self-remembering that allows us to consistently manifest the individual state of being that is required of us to shape and hold a container for transformative change.
How do we each discover what is ours to do in this world?
How do we build the capability and the will to do the work that is ours to do?
Once you have registered for the programme, full details of each will be shared with you.
PARTICIPANTS COME FROM A WIDE RANGE OF PLACE-BASED SECTORS.
WHAT PREVIOUS PARTICIPANTS HAVE SAID ABOUT POWER OF PLACE.
Previous participants in Power of Place have included:-
- strategic development and sustainability directors from city municipalities,
- estate owners and management teams,
- tourism destination managers,
- construction and architecture professionals,
- entrepreneurs seeking to revitalise local economies, and
- educators and academics
Participants came from the USA, Peru, Canada, Turkey, the Netherlands, Scotland, the Channel Islands, Denmark, Sweden and the UK.
URBAN ROOFTOPS IN IZMIR
“Power of Place training presents a terminology to put the soul into the space. As our language changes, our approaches also change.”
“PoP gave us deep insight as to how we shape place and how place shapes us. Seeing the inter-relational layers set out clearly and with set tasks and routes to navigate the complexity was empowering. “
EXPLORING ISLAND DEMOCRACY
“It has been an incredibly enriching experience and an absolute pleasure to e-meet and collaboratively co-create new ways of thinking and working with a like-minded group of international regenerative change-makers.”
REGENERATING WOOL INDUSTRY IN THE LAKE DISTRICT
“Research needs to be useful and this project allows for an upward spiral of change. The course helped us create a very strong value system which feels as if it can support positive impact through regenerative principles”
REGENERATIVE ESTATE SCOTLAND
“The programme gave us the ability to look at many aspects of Falkland Estate with new eyes and begin to recognise the inherent regenerative patterns trying to emerge and how elements of our learning from the course are embedded and reflected back to us by people, objects and culture.”
Course Hosts & Contributors
PROGRAMME DESIGNER & HOST
Founder, Really Regenerative CIC
Director, Really Regenerative Centre CIC.
Evolutionary Weaver. Systemic Constellations.
Dr DOMINIQUE HES
Zero Carbon Buildings Lead
City of Melbourne
Dr DANIEL CHRISTIAN WAHL
Author, Designing Regenerative Cultures
Bioregional Designer & Consultant July 2022
CEO & Founder
Common Earth June 2022
Speaker, Consultant, Elder
WITH MANY MORE CONTRIBUTORS.
CEO, Biomatrix Water Ltd
Global systems acupuncturists.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
By the end of this journey you will have experienced:-
- How to identify the evolutionary and transformative role your work/project/organisation can play in the system in which it sits
- How to co-creatively shape a future story and strategy based on living systems – together with all your stakeholders
- How to design future strategy from bio-cultural uniqueness of your place – economically, culturally and ecologically.
- How to design a culture and environment in which difference is celebrated instead of division created
- How to use framework thinking to support your work
- How to identify the paradigm of thought you (and others) are working from and consistently disrupt your thinking so that your work, your colleagues and your work in the system in which you sit, is regenerative
- How to integrate regenerative design, culture and leadership into your work
- How to become imaginal cells and agents of transformative change
YOU WILL ALSO …
- Meet and work co-creatively and collaboratively with other agents of change from around the world
- Find and share new inspiration and wisdom from a trans-disciplinary group of people from diverse backgrounds who share a belief that the intersection of human and natural systems is best worked on in place
- Develop a grounded practice and system by which to consistently work regeneratively
- Join an on-going community of practice who are committed to developing their skills and knowledge
The Sources on which we draw.
We all stand on the shoulders of giants. We all build on the rock and soil which came before us.
We draw on many different fields of study: living systems theory and design, systems thinking, developmental psychology from Jung to spiral dynamics, the science of biomimicry, but also includes fields of knowledge such as restorative justice, deep democracy and the Art of Hosting.
Most of all we are informed and inspired by the regenerative design practice of Regenesis Group, J. G. Bennett’s Systematics, the work of Buckminster Fuller, Peter Senge and Donella Meadows; deep ecologists such as Joanna Macy, Elisabeth Sahtouris, regenerative designers such as Daniel Christian Wahl, and many legends of community engagement such as Adrienne Maree Brown and Peter Block. We have deep appreciate for all the place-makers out there seeking to create the world we need: from city leaders such as Ada Colau in Barcelona, to Damien Allen at Doncaster City Council to bioregional designers such as Joe Brewer in Colombia.
We acknowledge the vital importance of the way in which regenerative wisdom has been held by indigenous peoples all over the world for so long in the hope that one day we would listen.
LEARN MORE ABOUT POWER OF PLACE FROM THESE TALKS AND WEBINARS
IN MORE DETAIL
Pillars of Regenerative Design | How to Design Regenerative Places & Cultures
THE REGENERATIVE POWER OF PLACE
Why Place? Why do we begin with Place? The challenge of changing global economic systems can sometimes seem overwhelming. But we can change our places. One by one. We are coming home and coming back to life when we reconnect to the places we inhabit. Reconnecting to the Power of Place can help us transform our extractive global economies, to regenerative thriving places where all life flourishes. The global pandemic has seen the green shoots of a new glo-cal economy emerging; a return to local where we can whilst still operating in a global economy. We study the different ways in which a regenerative economy diverges and creates the conditions conducive to life, and the tools that we have available to start that transition.
REGENERATIVE DESIGN & THINKING – A New Perspective
We need a new narrative on which to build a regenerative economy in each and every place we inhabit and work. We live amongst complex living systems that have adapted and evolved for 3.8 billion years. We will explore the key principles of living systems, and help you adopt them in your projects and programmes as the foundation of regenerative design to create living, thriving places. How does the intelligence of nature deal with waste? How does nature share resources equally, and where needed, among a community? What lessons can we learn or designing our own local strategies?
A NESTED VIEW OF SYSTEMIC PURPOSE IN PLACE
Regenerative practitioners work at three levels simultaneously. We work on our own development, the development of our teams, project and place, and on the role of that place in changing the systems that surround it. To be successful we need to learn to see and map the nested systems that surround us, so that we can become effective ecosystemic acupuncturists. We learn to identify the interconnected and inter-dependent systems that affect our place and find the nodes where change will be most effective. We help to surface the our own role and the role of our projects to lift up the purpose of the systems in which we work.
ROOTS RUNNING DEEP – the patterns and story of Place
To allow our Places and the people who live and work within them to achieve their highest potential, we need to deeply understand the story that our places want to tell. We learn how to see the patterns and flows of energy and movement, to map the unique biology and culture that give rise to a new expression of the essence of our place and its role in the world. What is the gift to the world of each of our own places? What do the patterns of generations mean for how we should design? What is the unique bio-cultural essence of our story?
CREATING THE CONDITIONS FOR VITALISED COMMUNITY
No place can thrive, evolve or activate systemic change unless its community comes together behind a co-created vision for the future. Creating and sustaining the energy needed for transformation comes from the heart and soul of the people within. We learn how to design and sustain collaborative community, and the deep engagement practices that support them. How do we make a shift to stewards and hosts of the future? What qualities and practices do we need to develop?
ADAPTIVE, EVOLUTIONARY DESIGN, CULTURE & BEING
Regenerative development is adaptive and ever-changing. To design strategies for our places and the communities within them, demands new and different qualities and practices. It asks us to step up and grow up as humans.
Whilst we need to learn to design adaptively, how to build in feedback loops that allow for agility, creativity and change, we also need to work on the qualities we need: courage, compassionate communications, patience and coherence, working within the rhythms of nature.
WE WILL LEARN HOW TO BECOME SYSTEMIC ACTIVISTS WORKING ACROSS THREE KEY LEVELS
Humans have a unique role to play in the development of the systems in which we work and live. That is why we are here. We are here to constantly catalyse evolution. Our organisations, projects and communities can contribute to that role. We always work on three levels simultaneously.
SELF DEVELOPMENT: we always work on our own personal development, seeking continually to raise our own potential through constant reflection and learning. Throughout the Journey we integrate reflective thinking to allow you to cultivate your inner leadership.
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT: as we work in the outer work – on our projects, with our teams and in our organisations and communities, we continuously seek to uplift the highest potential of individuals, and the projects they create.
SYSTEMIC DEVELOPMENT: most importantly we seek to advance the evolutionary purpose of the system in which we work. We are ecosystemic acupuncturists, always looking for nodal points that activate evolutionary energy.